8.18.2008

Pass It Along

This is un be-f*&#ing-levable.

I don't want to be this way. I don't want to lump all Republicans (and well, many politicians in general) in to the refuse bin. I don't. But when you actively work to segregate, punish and take rights away from people who need those rights more than anyone, why should I believe that you will protect me when I need it most?

I want someone to explain it to me - how keeping people who are in love from marrying will save families. How preventing a woman who either has been victimized or needs a second chance from accessing a safe, legal abortion will save anyone's life. How can you believe in giving so much control back to the state and back to the individual, engaging a capitalist society, but feel that you have the power to make decisions about our bodies and souls? It's such a glaring hypocrasy!

While I didn't intend to make this post centric on women's rights, my last statement is this: why do I feel, when I read this, when I see this, when I hear this, that someone thinks I aspire to abort my unborn child? Why are the lawmakers speaking loudest about this issue men? No woman wants to have an abortion. Ever. Stop flapping your egotistical, narcissistic and hateful mouth about issues that have no, and I repeat NO relevance to you.

**Complete anger and harsh reality to follow** I cannot BELIEVE I am supposed to live in this country shoving God down my throat while some man tells me who I can marry and when I can have children. Hey, John McCain! I am cordially inviting you over to my Mother's house for dinner, anytime between today and October 30th. You can help her work through her tens of thousands of dollars in my brother's hospital debt while you explain how her children's father can run off, skip his child support, and leave her with four children and a job as a waitress. Still think that heterosexual couples are the only ones fit to raise a child?

I know absolutely no one will comment this post, but I wish someone out there would explain why I shouldn't feel this way. Lately, I feel like I'm either preaching to the choir or on deaf ears.

Someone has to wake up, and fast.

***ADDENDUM***
I am a 100% supporter of adoption, and I have friends who were adopted and lead wonderful lives. The issue does not lie there. Carrying a child to term only to give it up takes and incredulous amount of strength and bravery and unfortunately, the women who are seeking abortions don't always have those qualities or support systems in reserve. We SHOULD be promoting adoption, but when we ignore the reproductive rights and system surrounding it so blatantly, how is that possible? John McCain touts the fact that he "and his wife, Cindy, adopted a little girl from Mother Teresa's orphanage in Bangladesh. She has been a blessing to the McCain family and helped make adoption advocacy a personal issue for the Senator." If he's so serious, why didn't he adopt an American child?

*******SECOND ADDENDUM*******
I found this blog while researching for a work project and continue to read it for enjoyment. The author posted this today, and it brought me to tears.

2 people's thoughts:

Unknown August 18, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

I felt the same feelings (also known as rage) that you described here last night when I saw a clip of John McCain. I immediately knew exactly what you were referring to when I started reading. It's sick, isn't it? It makes me so thankful to be from the bay area... can you imagine how sad life must be for those people that think like that... I should just stop there I don't want to get too offensive.

Her Bad Mother August 21, 2008 at 6:36 PM  

Thanks for link, and the sweet words. Thanks so much.

Curious Robin

My Blog Readers

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP