12.02.2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is generally a non-holiday in this Brehmer household, because David is usually working so that we may use his time off for Christmas travels. This year, we're spending an entire week in the Midwest, and we're both 90% happy to give up Thanksgiving for a longer Christmas trip. The 10% of non happiness is reserved for wishing that we could begin our own family traditions for the holiday, considering they'll be quite different than those we grew up with, sans turkey.

This year, my favorite California lady Taylor invited me to spend the day with her family. We didn't do much cooking - in fact, the only thing I did was peel potatoes - because her husband and her brother in law's boyfriend took on the preparations for the day. It was nice to lounge around with Taylor and her daughter while taking in the warm scent of cooking turkey and mashed potatoes(I still love how turkey smells while baking, even though I don't eat it).

It's also interesting to observe the different traditions of different families. I was rather surprised that Taylor's family didn't serve green bean casserole, considering that's the staple of my family Thanksgivings. No matter, though, because any family that incorporates mashed potatoes in to their dinner will have a happy guest in me. I could eat them for days.

Anyway, onward to December, a.k.a. the month for eating everything you see.

2 people's thoughts:

Carys December 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM  

They made green bean casserole last year, but I've never actually tried it before. I remember it quite distinctly because last year I was still pregnant and was experiencing a heightened sense of smell. I remember waking up @ 3am to the smell of the fried onions roasting in the oven. It was so strong I could smell it in my bedroom, and I could not fall back asleep because it was like I was sleeping next to the casserole!

I'm not sure why they didn't make it this year, though...

Carys December 3, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

By the way, I love that picture. Somehow you've made my tabletop (which I thought looked pretty bland this year) look all romantic and Martha Stewart-y!

Curious Robin

My Blog Readers

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP